My Eclipse Photos
Charlie M. 1958
2024-04-10 17:21:46 UTC
This is a sereies of photos I took near Waco,Texas before and during
totality. The "diamond ring" effect is caused by light streaming through
the moon's valleys and craters as the sun begins to emerge from behind
the moon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N00/albums/72177720316141269/
Sharx335
2024-04-10 17:42:04 UTC
Post by Charlie M. 1958
This is a sereies of photos I took near Waco,Texas before and during
totality. The "diamond ring" effect is caused by light streaming through
the moon's valleys and craters as the sun begins to emerge from behind
the moon.
Great pics in your albums. Ya feel any different after spending time in
WhackOH?<vbg>
Charlie M. 1958
2024-04-10 18:32:26 UTC
Post by Sharx335
Post by Charlie M. 1958
This is a sereies of photos I took near Waco,Texas before and during
totality. The "diamond ring" effect is caused by light streaming
through the moon's valleys and craters as the sun begins to emerge
from behind the moon.
Great pics in your albums. Ya feel any different after spending time in
WhackOH?<vbg>
I was about 30 miles away, so I guess I'm okay.

What I CAN say definitively after spending quite a few hours on the road
over the past few days is that about 10 percent of the driving
population should never be allowed to get behind the wheel again.
badgolferman
2024-04-10 20:28:27 UTC
Post by Charlie M. 1958
What I CAN say definitively after spending quite a few hours on the
road over the past few days is that about 10 percent of the driving
population should never be allowed to get behind the wheel again.
Yes, the ones who drive in the left lane and can't keep up with the
cars ahead of them.
--
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and
then don't say it." ~ Sam Levenson
Charlie M. 1958
2024-04-11 01:37:49 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
What I CAN say definitively after spending quite a few hours on the
road over the past few days is that about 10 percent of the driving
population should never be allowed to get behind the wheel again.
Yes, the ones who drive in the left lane and can't keep up with the
cars ahead of them.
Yeah, but if the speed limit is 75 and I come behind someone doing 70 in
the right lane, I’ve got a right to pass them at 75-80 without having some
idiot doing 85 come up and ride my ass.

Yesterday we were on an elevated section of interstate over water, where
the limit is 60. Two idiots racing each other in the heavy traffic were
doing at least 85 when they came up behind us. One passed in the left lane
at the same time the other one passed us on the right shoulder!
Sharx335
2024-04-11 02:19:49 UTC
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
What I CAN say definitively after spending quite a few hours on the
road over the past few days is that about 10 percent of the driving
population should never be allowed to get behind the wheel again.
Yes, the ones who drive in the left lane and can't keep up with the
cars ahead of them.
Yeah, but if the speed limit is 75 and I come behind someone doing 70 in
the right lane, I’ve got a right to pass them at 75-80 without having some
idiot doing 85 come up and ride my ass.
Yesterday we were on an elevated section of interstate over water, where
the limit is 60. Two idiots racing each other in the heavy traffic were
doing at least 85 when they came up behind us. One passed in the left lane
at the same time the other one passed us on the right shoulder!
Yes, those two deserved to have their vehicles impounded and licenses
shredded. HOWEVER, the idea of the left lane is to use it for passing,
THEN to get the fuck back over to a lane on the right. UNLESS, of
courses, you are willing to go fast enough to NOT block it. Personally,
it took me a while in the Program before I gave up fighting the law on
speed limits. Up here, in, say, a 110 kph zone, it's usually okay to go
a max of 117 or so without fear of apprehension. The big bitch is
construction zone enforcement when there is nary a worker or machine in
sight.
badgolferman
2024-04-11 10:58:50 UTC
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
What I CAN say definitively after spending quite a few hours on
the road over the past few days is that about 10 percent of the
driving population should never be allowed to get behind the
wheel again.
Yes, the ones who drive in the left lane and can't keep up with the
cars ahead of them.
Yeah, but if the speed limit is 75 and I come behind someone doing 70
in the right lane, I’ve got a right to pass them at 75-80 without
having some idiot doing 85 come up and ride my ass.
Yesterday we were on an elevated section of interstate over water,
where the limit is 60. Two idiots racing each other in the heavy
traffic were doing at least 85 when they came up behind us. One
passed in the left lane at the same time the other one passed us on
the right shoulder!
Maybe you should have taken out your cell phone and read that while
blocking the left lane and you would never have noticed or cared about
the racers.
Charlie M. 1958
2024-04-11 13:20:55 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
[...]
Read my post again, dickhead. We were in the right lane. One racer passed
us in the left lane while the other passed on the right shoulder.

I’m not one of those “enforcers” who drives in the left lane. I only use it
to pass slower vehicles. Before I pass, I make sure I don’t see anyone
coming really fast in the left lane. But I shouldn’t have to risk a ticket
by going 15-20 mph over the limit to prevent some maniac from coming up and
tailgating me before I have a chance to move back over to the right.
Ted H
2024-04-11 13:45:58 UTC
On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:20:55 -0000 (UTC),
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
[...]
Agree with you entirely, Charlie. I'm not going to drastically
increase the amount I'm over the speed limit when passing, just so
some crazed asshole can get by me 30 seconds sooner. That said,
there are times I'll bump up my speed a bit; for example, when
the difference in speeds between me and the car I'm passing is
small and it's clear the passing maneuver would otherwise take a
very long time.

I'll also sometimes slow down to stay behind the care in front
until overtaking traffic has thinned. This is a case in which
adaptive cruise control is very helpful.
Ted H.
Charlie M. 1958
2024-04-11 18:05:19 UTC
Post by Ted H
Agree with you entirely, Charlie. I'm not going to drastically
increase the amount I'm over the speed limit when passing, just so
some crazed asshole can get by me 30 seconds sooner. That said,
there are times I'll bump up my speed a bit; for example, when
the difference in speeds between me and the car I'm passing is
small and it's clear the passing maneuver would otherwise take a
very long time.
I'll also sometimes slow down to stay behind the care in front
until overtaking traffic has thinned. This is a case in which
adaptive cruise control is very helpful.
Totaly agree. Lynda's Audi has the adaptive cruise, and I really wish my
Silverado had it.
Ted H
2024-04-12 13:00:52 UTC
On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:05:19 -0500,
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by Ted H
Agree with you entirely, Charlie. I'm not going to
drastically increase the amount I'm over the speed limit when
passing, just so some crazed asshole can get by me 30 seconds
sooner. That said, there are times I'll bump up my speed a
bit; for example, when the difference in speeds between me and
the car I'm passing is small and it's clear the passing
maneuver would otherwise take a very long time.
I'll also sometimes slow down to stay behind the care in front
until overtaking traffic has thinned. This is a case in which
adaptive cruise control is very helpful.
Totaly agree. Lynda's Audi has the adaptive cruise, and I
really wish my Silverado had it.
There's a smallish downside: if you're not paying enough
attention, you can end up dawdling along behind some slowpoke
going 10 mph under the speed limit.
Ted H.
Sharx335
2024-04-13 01:49:52 UTC
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by Ted H
Agree with you entirely, Charlie. I'm not going to
drastically increase the amount I'm over the speed limit when
passing, just so some crazed asshole can get by me 30 seconds
sooner. That said, there are times I'll bump up my speed a
bit; for example, when the difference in speeds between me and
the car I'm passing is small and it's clear the passing
maneuver would otherwise take a very long time.
I'll also sometimes slow down to stay behind the care in front
until overtaking traffic has thinned. This is a case in which
adaptive cruise control is very helpful.
Totaly agree. Lynda's Audi has the adaptive cruise, and I
really wish my Silverado had it.
There's a smallish downside: if you're not paying enough
attention, you can end up dawdling along behind some slowpoke
going 10 mph under the speed limit.
I don't mind some driver dawdling as long as they: 1. aren't in the
leftmost lane and 2. as long as they aren't ahead of me. When they are,
it just gives me more opportunity to put my serenity into action.
badgolferman
2024-04-11 14:30:23 UTC
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
[...]
The way you wrote your message it seemed you were passing the other
vehicle in the left lane by going 75-85 mph. Regardless, my post was
meant to be sarcastic in that if they were tailgating you then you can
do what the other assholes do who cruise in the left lane and ignore
the backup behind them.
Charlie M. 1958
And "dickhead" was also meant to be sarcastic, dickhead. :-)
Sharx335
The dickhead is where the REAL pleasure centers. No prob there.
Sharx335
2024-04-11 02:15:42 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
What I CAN say definitively after spending quite a few hours on the
road over the past few days is that about 10 percent of the driving
population should never be allowed to get behind the wheel again.
Yes, the ones who drive in the left lane and can't keep up with the
cars ahead of them.
Ever have the fantasy of, say, having a short time to live, arming your
vehicle with a, say 50 cal SMG, then goin' a roadhog huntin'?
Mark Warner
2024-04-21 00:52:50 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
What I CAN say definitively after spending quite a few hours on the
road over the past few days is that about 10 percent of the driving
population should never be allowed to get behind the wheel again.
Yes, the ones who drive in the left lane and can't keep up with the
cars ahead of them.
Every day in my delivery job I drive to another town 25 miles away. It's
four lane, limited access, but not Interstate. The biggest PITA is the
rolling roadblocks you get with people with their cruise controls set 1
MPH different with one car taking five miles to pass the other.
--
Mark Warner
MX Linux KDE
...lose .inhibitions when replying
Ted H
2024-04-10 20:38:34 UTC
On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 12:21:46 -0500,
Post by Charlie M. 1958
This is a sereies of photos I took near Waco,Texas before and
during totality. The "diamond ring" effect is caused by light
streaming through the moon's valleys and craters as the sun
begins to emerge from behind the moon.
Very nice, Charlie.

A good friend also alerted me to this one...

https://images.app.goo.gl/C19Yjz3htK8nBt5X7

Cool to see some of the surface features on the moon.
--
Ted H.