RIP Conky
Add Reply
badgolferman
2024-04-27 20:17:22 UTC
CONKY'S OBITUARY
10/30/1929 – 4/20/2024

Conky Sorrell was born in Hampton, Va, to James G. and Lena Sorrell. The
youngest of six children, he was raised on Shell Road in Olde Wythe. Conky
graduated from Hampton High school in 1947, where he lettered in many
sports, but baseball was his legacy. Conky continued his education at the
Newport News Apprentice School, graduating as a Hull Draftsman in 1952.
Conky mentored many young people over his years at Newport News
Shipbuilding until his retirement in 1990 as a General Foreman.

On August 25th, 1951, Conky married his “Bloss,” Alice Carpenter, a cute
gal from Phoebus. They celebrated 72 years of marriage last summer. Conky
is survived by Alice, daughters Denise Scheett (John) and Ellen Sorrell;
Grandchildren Kimberly Folker (Mike), Scott Sorrell (Leann), Joshua
Sorrell, and Dani Tatum, Great-grandchildren David Sorrell, Kaleb Folker,
Jonathan Sorrell, Makenzy Folker, and Matthew Sorrell. He is also survived
by many nieces, nephews, cousins, friends, and his fur baby Sandy. Conky
never met a stranger and loved to meet new people he could try his old
jokes on.

Pop was predeceased by his son David, who passed away in 2004. It is a
great comfort to his family that the two are once again side by side,
telling elaborate stories and silly jokes with those big sheepish grins
across their faces. He was also predeceased by siblings Jenalee, Ruth,
Rene, Gilly, and Cat.

In March of 1979, Conky became a Friend of Bill and he recently celebrated
his 45th birthday as a sober man. He is a local legend in the AA community
on the Peninsula. He has sponsored many and been a steadfast part of his
Buckroe New Hope home group.
Conky had many achievements and hobbies over his long life. He grew the
best tomatoes in town and shared them with anyone who crossed his path. He
went on the hunt for pecans and walnuts every fall so he could sit on his
couch and “crack his nuts.” He could carve a turkey and ham like a pro. He
accumulated seven aces on the golf course. He was a long-time member of the
Hampton Golf Association, and Hampton Senior Golf Association. He was past
President of the Progressive Club of Newport News Shipbuilding, a 62-year
Masonic Veteran of Monitor Lodge #197, served on the Vestry at Emmanuel
Episcopal Church, and was involved with the Apprentice Alumni Association.

Conky began playing baseball at a very young age. He was an outstanding
southpaw pitcher, coach, umpire, and manager. One of the highlights of his
time on the field was in 1958. Conky was the manager of the Hampton Royals,
and they made it to Wichita, KS, for the semi-pro World Series, where his
team placed 7th in the nation. On this trip, several people mistook him for
baseball legend Whitey Ford which he got a big kick out of and played
along. Conky loved to share his knowledge of the game with anyone and
helped many players develop their skills on the field and at bat. Several
family vacations were spent in Baltimore to watch the O’s and the Yank’s.
In 2022, the Peninsula Sports Club honored him as Sports Person Emeritus at
their Headliners Night event. This coming October he is being inducted to
the Apprentice Athletics 6th Hall of Fame Class.

Conky loved a good joke, pulling pranks, and telling stories. His outgoing
personality made him a very popular guy. His wisdom was shared, his advice
was solid, and he was the most honest man many have ever had the pleasure
of meeting. As he would say to all with a twinkle in his eyes: “Glad You
Got To See Me! “
Conky’s life will be celebrated on Saturday, April 27, at 11:00 a.m. at Ivy
Memorial Baptist/Freedom Life Church in Hampton. Masonic Rites will be held
during the service. Dress will be casual, so feel free to wear your
favorite sports team jersey or golf attire. The service may be watched
online at flconline.org by clicking HERE.

In lieu of flowers the family suggests contributing to a memorial fund that
will provide AA literature and Big Books to newcomers in Conky’s name.
Checks should be made to Cynthia Teagle, 4 White Oak Trail, Hampton VA
23669.

Arrangements are in the care of R. Hayden Smith (rhaydensmith.com).

https://www.rhaydensmith.com/obituary/conky-sorrell
Mark Warner
2024-04-28 00:54:13 UTC
Post by badgolferman
In March of 1979, Conky became a Friend of Bill and he recently celebrated
his 45th birthday as a sober man. He is a local legend in the AA community
on the Peninsula. He has sponsored many and been a steadfast part of his
Buckroe New Hope home group.
Got a kick out of this, using the "Friend of Bill" label that's supposed
to "anonymize" someone and then outright declare his membership in AA.

That said, I would actually prefer that a member who dies sober be
recognized as such.

Sounds like a good dude. We lost a stalwart here yesterday afternoon,
and last night and tonight the discussions were about what a great guy
he was. A few of us who knew him from the start reminded the younger
crowd that it took him a long time to get there. He was a sober asshole
for a decade or more before he finally took this shit to heart and
became the kind and caring guy we all knew the last ten or so years.
--
Mark Warner
MX Linux KDE
...lose .inhibitions when replying
badgolferman
2024-04-28 01:30:37 UTC
Post by Mark Warner
Post by badgolferman
[...]
I went to the funeral today. We were all encouraged to wear our favorite
team’s colors and dress casually. The minister had on jeans and a tee
shirt. Four speakers gave their memories of Conky. From the family side was
his son. From the AA side was his sponsee. From his work side was a
co-worker. From his golf side was a fellow club member.

They all told funny stories and we laughed a lot. There were very few tears
shed because he was a funny guy and really enjoyed life. And they all told
similar characteristics of Conky from his various places in life. It was
the best two hours I’ve spent in a funeral.

There was no sermon and only a couple songs. They passed out these small
containers with grape juice and a wafer for communion, which took all of
2-3 minutes. And this was at a Baptist church which are famous for long
sermons.