why do you remain in this group?
Add Reply
badgolferman
2024-04-18 12:13:38 UTC
What keeps you here? I'm especially interested in hearing from those
who rarely participate. Thanks.
Ken P
2024-04-18 13:22:10 UTC
Post by badgolferman
What keeps you here? I'm especially interested in hearing from those
who rarely participate. Thanks.
"There’s an old joke that goes like this:

Worried that their son was too optimistic, the parents of a little boy
took him to a psychiatrist. In an attempt to dampen the boy’s spirits,
the psychiatrist showed him into a room piled high with nothing but
horse manure. Instead of displaying distaste, the little boy clambered
to the top of the pile and began digging.

“What are you doing?” the psychiatrist asked.

“With all this manure,” the little boy replied, beaming, “there must be
a pony in here somewhere.”

(Stolen shamelessly from some random web site with the assumption that
retelling a joke is as fair use as it gets.)"

I'm past the point of thinking there might be a pony, but sometimes one
might find a biscuit in all the shit. :-)
badgolferman
Maybe that pony or biscuit can be a gift FROM you...
Charlie M. 1958
2024-04-18 15:33:47 UTC
Post by Ken P
What keeps you here?  I'm especially interested in hearing from those
who rarely participate.  Thanks.
Worried that their son was too optimistic, the parents of a little boy
took him to a psychiatrist. In an attempt to dampen the boy’s spirits,
the psychiatrist showed him into a room piled high with nothing but
horse manure. Instead of displaying distaste, the little boy clambered
to the top of the pile and began digging.
“What are you doing?” the psychiatrist asked.
“With all this manure,” the little boy replied, beaming, “there must be
a pony in here somewhere.”
(Stolen shamelessly from some random web site with the assumption that
retelling a joke is as fair use as it gets.)"
I'm past the point of thinking there might be a pony, but sometimes one
might find a biscuit in all the shit. :-)
Coincidentally... I just heard that joke a couple of days ago. :-)

I keep coming here because, for the most part, you guys are sort of a
connecting link between AA and real life.

What I mean by that is that people in meetings don't always say what
they're really thinking because they are afraid it might be too far
outside the AA party line. Most people in the rooms hold AA in high
regard, and don't want to say anything that might sound critical of the
program, create controversy, or that a newcomer could misinterpret. But
here in ARAA we have no such reservations about speaking our minds. It's
the unedited thoughts of sober people. You can't get that just anywhere. :-)
badgolferman
2024-04-18 15:39:15 UTC
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by Ken P
[...]
Good answer! Now if we could actually get some of you to tell us those
thoughts it would benefit all of us.
Dexter
2024-04-18 19:04:26 UTC
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
I keep coming here because, for the most part, you guys are sort of a
connecting link between AA and real life.
What I mean by that is that people in meetings don't always say what
they're really thinking because they are afraid it might be too far
outside the AA party line. Most people in the rooms hold AA in high
regard, and don't want to say anything that might sound critical of the
program, create controversy, or that a newcomer could misinterpret. But
here in ARAA we have no such reservations about speaking our minds. It's
the unedited thoughts of sober people. You can't get that just anywhere. :-)
Good answer! Now if we could actually get some of you to tell us those
thoughts it would benefit all of us.
-------------------------------------

It's gratifying to know that when I share my unedited thoughts you feel
they benefit all of the others here. I'm not entirely certain that all here
would agree with you. But that's another conversation entirely.

I'm here because I have a different viewpoint on various topics that
crop up here and it's important for me to express those differences,
for the benefit of all of you - however you care to interpret that.

It's often said that AA is not a debating society, an ideal that I think
is "more honored in the breach..." as someone famous has written.
But that's not a proscription in this forum. Among those who have
access, no one is, or can be prevented from speaking freely. I'm
agreeing with Charlie M here.

It's sad that both Rob and, dare I say it, Teddy have found themselves
excluded by the fall of gurgle groups.
Sharx335
2024-04-18 20:04:02 UTC
Post by Dexter
Post by badgolferman
Post by Charlie M. 1958
[...]
They have found themselves excluded by their own intransigence in
adamantly refusing to adapt to change. Very AA-like...for newcomers.
Ted H
2024-04-18 15:49:32 UTC
On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:33:47 -0500,
Post by Charlie M. 1958
Post by Ken P
Post by badgolferman
[...]
I agree with both of you. I'd add that there are friendships I've
developed with folks here, and it's always nice to see them post.

Seems Mark may be the only one remaining I've met in real life.
Ted H.
Charlie M. 1958
2024-04-18 16:19:59 UTC
Post by Ted H
I agree with both of you. I'd add that there are friendships I've
developed with folks here, and it's always nice to see them post.
Seems Mark may be the only one remaining I've met in real life.
I'm sort of glad I've never met Mark in real life. I just don't know if
he could lice up to my expectiations. (As Forrest Gump would say, that's
all I'm going to say about that.)
Sharx335
WTF? He got rescued by a good ole Canuck Saskatchewanite.
Mark Warner
2024-04-21 00:58:29 UTC
Post by Charlie M. 1958
I agree with both of you.  I'd add that there are friendships I've
developed with folks here, and it's always nice to see them post.
Seems Mark may be the only one remaining I've met in real life.
I'm sort of glad I've never met Mark in real life. I just don't know if
he could lice up to my expectiations. (As Forrest Gump would say, that's
all I'm going to say about that.)
I'm a disappointment to just about everyone.
--
Mark Warner
MX Linux KDE
...lose .inhibitions when replying
Sharx335
WTF?
Sharx335
Condolences? Either way!!
Sharx335
AMEN!! You got it, bro'.
Mark Warner
2024-04-21 01:06:59 UTC
Post by Charlie M. 1958
What I mean by that is that people in meetings don't always say what
they're really thinking because they are afraid it might be too far
outside the AA party line. Most people in the rooms hold AA in high
regard, and don't want to say anything that might sound critical of the
program, create controversy, or that a newcomer could misinterpret. But
here in ARAA we have no such reservations about speaking our minds. It's
the unedited thoughts of sober people. You can't get that just anywhere. :-)
I don't tend to sugarcoat what I think in meetings, but I'll grant you I
try to be a bit more tactful than I am here. That said, I thinks it's
right and proper to point out AA's faults and failings, its
contradictions and criticisms. None of that prevents me from supporting
what we do, and my long term sobriety is proof that it's something that
works.
Sharx335
Yathink?
CW